Most mushrooms are best served as an accompaniment to a main dish but the Girolle has so much stature, so much flavour that it can easily be served as a dish on it’s own.
The following is a classic French recipe served up during the mushroom season in homes all over France. If you want to add an English touch add toast!
- 600g girolles
- 2 table spoons of sunflower oil
- 20cl creme fraiche
- a good handful of chopped parsley (the curled variety is fine)
- salt and pepper to taste, always if possible use a high grade sea salt, it just makes the difference.
- Before starting wash the girolles well.
- In a large saucepan or frying pan gently cook the girolles in the oil stirring regularly with a wooden spoon.
- Continue for about 20 minutes or until the girolles have softened.
- Pour away any excess water created by the cooking, season, then add the creme fraiche and parsley.
- Heat slowly stirring gently until the dish is heated through and serve.